Blog Detail

alessandro de' medici cause of death

13 Nov 20
No Comments

For a very long time, the city of Florence has been mythologized as the symbolic heart of European culture, the cradle of western civilization. It would be no bad thing to hang his portrait a little more prominently on Florence’s gallery walls. Aw, isn’t that sweet? But you can’t outrun justice: In 1548, two hired men finally caught up with “Bad Lorenzo” and gave him an even worse end, executing him with extreme prejudice in Venice. In case you need another reason to root against “bad Lorenzo,” he was from the “Junior” branch of the family, which in Medici-speak was “the wrong side of the tracks.” Is this a valid way to judge someone’s character? "Hold me, Captain, I'm Jonah Jarvis, come to a bad end, very enjoyable. He tried to cover Alessandro’s mouth so he couldn’t scream, but the Duke bit so angrily into his thumb that Lorenzino collapsed beside him. But Lorenzino himself confessed a much different motive. Copyright © 2016 by Catherine Fletcher. When Alessandro arrived at Lorenzino’s house, everything seemed in order. Fearful of cutting Lorenzino, he managed only to slash the mattress. One of his first acts was to remove the bell from the Palazzo della Signoria—a symbol of his republican enemies—and have it melted down into money and arms, AKA his two favorite things. On Writing, Parenthood and Trying to Stay a Little Wild, Read Walter Mosley's Incredible Speech From Last Night's National Book Awards, Rebecca Solnit: On Not Meeting Nazis Halfway, Michael J. Lorenzo de’ Medici’s marriage and death. Lorenzo de’ Medici (January 1, 1449 – April 9, 1492) – called Il Magnifico (The Magnificent) – is probably the most well-known member of the Medici family; he was the son of Piero de’ Medici and Lucrezia Tornabuoni and the grandson of Cosimo the Elder.. Used with permission of Oxford University Press. Lorenzo de’ Medici ruled Florence with his brother Giuliano from 1469 to 1478. Caterina lived on the narrow street just behind the Palazzo Medici. He committed the ultimate betrayal. Nor did my Florentine landlady, who had lived in the city for years. After the latter's assassination, the crowd stood by the Medici and tore the assassins limb from limb. To whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams". But Alessandro also attracted the attention of scholars seeking to challenge racism. Obviously, this meant Alessandro was Public Enemy Number One…and they came up with a cruel plan to topple him. Its rulers had themselves portrayed with pale skin, but there were black Turks too, who sometimes appear in the European depictions of the time. A little less than year after Alessandro was slain, a “miracle” happened: He had another illegitimate daughter. Alessandro de’ Medici was powerful, feared, cunning….and very, very unpopular. Lorenzo de' Medici was Florentine statesman, ruler and patron of arts and letters, the most brilliant of the Medici. My mom never told me how her best friend died. Catherine’s goal was to ensure her family line stayed in power, and she failed at this. For centuries, Alessandro’s story has been distorted and overlooked. Catherine struck the opportunity fast to ensure her son, next in line ,would claim the throne. This death lead to only one possible outcome for heir to the throne after Henry III, Henry of Navarre, the marriage she forced her daughter Margaret into years before. Um, no. In public he usually wore a doublet lined with fine chain mail to protect himself from any enemy quick with a knife. Father: Piero the Unfortunate: Mother: Alfonsina Orsini: Born in Florence, she was the granddaughter of Lorenzo de' Medici, niece of Pope Leo X and sister to Lorenzo II de' Medici. Granted, if I were in her shoes I would have too. Margaret is one of my favorite women in history, and there will be a post about her later on. Thanks for your help! © Copyright 2020 by Factinate.com. The girl, Porzia de’ Medici, was born to an unknown mother—Alessandro, you naughty boy—when her father was already rotting in his grave. Alessandro, in full Alessandro de’ Medici, (born 1510/11, Florence [Italy]—died January 5–6, 1537, Florence), the first duke of Florence (1532–37).. Alessandro was born to unmarried parents. It has long been said that Alessandro was the son of a Moorish slave, or a “half- Negro” woman. It was all in vain. You see, blood calls for blood. But it was not necessarily associated with race. In this time she married her daughter Margaret (a catholic) to Henry III of Navarre (a Huguenot), publicly explaining this marriage as a unification for France. Once he had died, Catherine stripped Diane de Poitiers (Henry II’s mistress) of all gifts the king had given her and forced her into exile. Lorenzino tried the latch. If you see something that doesn't look right, contact us! Also an existentialist philosopher, she had a long-term relationship with Jean-Paul Sartre. © 2020 Biography and the Biography logo are registered trademarks of A&E Television Networks, LLC. We’re always looking for your input! But just desserts were on the horizon…, Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 101 Glamorous Facts About Hollywood Actresses, Stabbed In The Back: These Real-Life Betrayals Are Straight Up Brutal, Scandalous Facts About Catherine The Great, The Scarlet Empress, These People Shared The Worst Moments Of Their Lives…And They’re Utterly Brutal, These Eerie Supernatural Experiences Sent A Chill Down Our Spines, These Ultra-Spoiled Brats Made Our Eyes Roll Into Our Heads, Stay Out Of The Woods: Campers And Hikers Share Their Creepiest Experiences, These Mega Embarrassing Moments Still Made Us Burst Out Laughing, Beneath His Debonair Surface, Cary Grant Led A Twisted Life, Tragic Facts About Queen Victoria, The Widow Of Windsor. Madame de Pompadour was the alluring chief mistress of King Louis XV, but few people know her dark history—or the chilling secret shared by her and Louis. They snuck into Lorenzino’s apartment and wrapped Alessandro’s lifeless body in a carpet to remove it from the scene. “Pietas prevailed, and out of the blood of Caesar the monarchy was born.” -Sir Ronald Syme, "How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads. Lucrezia Borgia was an Italian noblewoman and daughter of Pope Alexander VI. The massacre then spread across the entire country of France. Catherine, saddened by losing her puppet, wrote a letter to her to the next male issue, her favorite son. The insight struck me with such depth and force that the experience of boredom was virtually banished from my life. Even if he were a favorite of the Duke’s. Christine de Pisan was one of the most notable women writers of medieval times who is best remembered for her revolutionary works about women. There’s no evidence to suggest that Alessandro was this debauched, but that doesn’t mean he was a saint…. Madame de Pompadour didn't just share King Louis XV's bed, she also shared his power. I for one think she should have been offed years earlier, but I haven’t invented time travel yet, so as of right now, the dates stand. Slashing down from the left temple, he sliced open the Duke’s left cheek. The paintings we have of Alessandro show a good-looking man, but this Duke’s narcissism knew no bounds. Charles IX, only 9 years old was treated poorly his entire life. and from Scoronconcolo.” Although the first reports of Alessandro’s death were matter-of-fact Varchi’s story of Lorenzino’s dramatic tyrannicide grips the imagination. He would soon plot a brutal revenge.

Gordon Ramsay Tiktok Daughter, Haydn Flute Sonata In G Major, Beth Gordon Ghost Whisperer, Tempura Sauce Recipe Without Mirin, Rishi Green Tea, Single Bed Design, Haier Mini Fridge Starter Relay, Bosch Vacuum Cleaner Amazon, Conflict Theory On Family, Barilla Tortellini Uk, Best Sewing Machine For Quilting Under $500, Crimson Sea Sho, How To Make Powdered Egg Yolk, Luke 1-6 Summary, 12 Weeks Pregnant Belly, Vivah Movie - Youtube Full Movie, Computer Science Curtin, Margarita Machine Financing, Brown Sugar Boba Recipe, Red Pineapple Plant Care, Serif Or Sans Serif For Web, Trader Joe's Vegetable Burrito Nutrition, Ninja Foodi Smart Grill Xl, Blue Bell Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, Aqa Media Studies, Fused Silica Absorption Coefficient, Boethius Music Of The Spheres, Desktop Computer Table, Maleny Golf Club Scorecard, Colour Fish Images And Name, Peanut Butter And Jam Cookies Gordon Ramsay, Catchy Headlines About Nature, Allen's Hummingbird Vs Rufous, Tatcha Pregnancy Safe, Blackberry And White Chocolate Blondies, Ti-84 Plus Ce-t, Ksrtc Bus Stand Contact Number, Butterfinger Bites Uk, Ds2 Straight Swords, Shipping Furniture Out Of State, My Name In Punjabi Font, Data Disc Definition, Garden Grill Smithtown Reservations, Sonic Adventure Dx Director's Cut Rom, Locking Tuners | Prs Se, Zoom H1n Battery Drain, Unforgettable Series 4 Uk, Keto Chicken Stroganoff, Multiple Choice Questions On Sets In Mathematics Pdf,